The Woman's National Farm and Garden Association (WNFGA) was organized in Pennsylvania in 1914. The organization is structured at a national level, division and state level, and the local/branch level.
Mrs. Louisa King, a Michigan resident, recognized writer and lecturer on gardening and horticulture, was instrumental in starting the national organization. During her travels to England, Mrs. Louisa King was inspired by country women known as the Woman's Farm and Garden Association of England. Upon Louisa's return to the United States, Mrs. King played a vital role in the establishment of the Woman's Agricultural and Horticultural Association of America, later renamed to Woman's National Farm and Garden Association. Mrs. Louisa King became the first president in 1914.
Over the next twenty years, the national organization grew, dividing itself into smaller divisions and branches. At the same time, some branches merged.
Louise Tritten and her mother, Alma Spicer of Plymouth, were influential in forming the Northville Branch of the Michigan Division of the Woman's National Farm and Garden Association on May 25, 1936. The branch was sponsored by Mrs. Henry (Clara Bryant) Ford, who also served as national president from 1927 - 1934.
Historically, our branch has provided local academic scholarships. To help fund these scholarships, the membership initially hosted a Flower Show. During WWII, the show became known as the "Victory Garden Harvest & Flower Show." In the 1950s, it was called the "Fruit, Flower & Vegetable Show"; and in the 1960s became known as the "Flowers, Fashion & Food Show."
In 1953, our branch, along with other Metro-Detroit branches, instituted a Christmas sale. In 1975, the Holiday Greens Mart, as we know it today, was established.
From 1938 through 1958, our branch sponsored a Birdhouse Contest for schoolboys in the seventh through twelfth grades.
From 1963 until 1967, the Northville branch provided a Horticultural Therapy Program at the Northville State Hospital.
In 1998, our branch name was changed and shortened to Northville Garden Club.
Although our name may have been shortened, our history is long. We recently celebrated our 80th Anniversary. Representatives from national, state, division, and "sister" clubs joined us for a beautiful luncheon, in recognition of this major milestone in our history!
The Northville Garden Club is a branch of the Woman's National Farm & Garden Association